Back End PHP Developer (Laravel / Symphony)
1, Amalgamated Drive, Unit 1, Amalgamated Drive, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 9EZ, United Kingdom
Making Home Life Better
The HomesByDesign Group has recently been formed to build on the growing success of its established and primary subsidiary BathroomsByDesign. Our mission is to improve people’s homes, health and wellbeing with beautiful, affordable and expertly designed solutions for the home.
A technology led retail business, the ByDesign concept of using our proprietary KADware® (Knowledge Aided Design) Software and Plan2Design Virtual Reality App to serve customers in a totally unique and streamlined way sets us apart from our competitors in the market. It gives us the springboard to constantly look to improve how we operate and how we can continue to deliver a unique, immersive and effortless customer experience with our Software and VR App central to this experience.
Whilst we are currently a retail organisation, our tech infrastructure will enable us to expand into new sectors and markets internationally with the same mission firmly in place. Our hope is that one day everyone in the world will have a place they can proudly call home. Everything we do now and in the future will be underpinned by this.
You’ll be spending the majority of your time developing and improving the company’s multi store eCommerce platform, integrating with the unique online community and marketplace we are building (PHP based), as well as carrying out the general day to day maintenance and support tasks that are typically associated with running a Magento 2 environment and Laravel and Symfony. You will be responsible for new feature developments and working on integrations to our other technology platforms, building and maintaining API endpoints to ensure seamless connectivity between the tech stack.
Part of your role will be to translate business requirements into functional requirements and be able to deliver solutions that fulfill those requirements, so the ability to communicate with the wider business will be essential. You will be expected to keep up to date with the latest security patches and available upgrades for the platform and deploy these in a timely manner, having completed thorough testing to ensure their cross site compatibility.
Location: Brentford /Remote (Find Us)
Job type: Permanent / Full-time
Leave Allowance: 22 days rising to 25 based on length of service
- Interpret business requirements and technical specification documents, to deliver an appropriate technical solution to agreed quality and timelines
- Write software to an agreed set of coding standards
- Create, document, and implement automated test scenarios
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Set up and maintain deployment systems
- Carry out manual testing of work in progress
- Be part of an escalation process for technical guidance in the wider business and eventual wider development team*
- Perform maintenance development
- Investigate, analyse and document defects
- Correct identified defects
- Be available to assist the technical support liaison
- Testing the performance of the site
- Troubleshooting integration issues.
DevOps & Security
- Maintaining security and feature updates
- Updating security patches.
- Maintain production and staging server environments
- Setup development pipelines
- Liaise with external hosting providers to troubleshoot performance issues and bottlenecks.
Essential Technical Skills
- Laravel or Symfony
- CSS and related preprocessors like Saas. Less, Tailwindcss
- Experience integrating with relational databases (e.g. Postgres, MySQL)
- Experience using PHP to consume web services, e.g REST, SOAP and GraphQL
- Advanced experience working with BitBucket, GIT or GitHub
- Strong knowledge of web application security
- Experience of unit testing
Desirable Technical Skills
- Experience with DevOps & Systems Administration
- Experience with one or more popular Node frameworks (e.g. Nest, Express)
- Experience integrating with NoSQL data stores (e.g. Mongo, Dynamo)
Essential Knowledge & Experience
- At least 6 years of development experience working in a development team within a commercial environment
- Ability to deal directly with non-technical stakeholders and communicate complex development decisions in a non-technical manner
- A highly motivated individual with demonstrable analytical and technical skills
- A desire to want to continuously learn and develop technical skills
- A strong attention to detail with a commitment consistently deliver a high standard of work
- Strong time management skills with the ability to self manage and complete tasks with limited supervision
- An advanced understanding of best practice and architecture for complex web applications
- An advanced understanding of and ability to avoid common security flaws in web applications
- Excellent communication skills
Desirable Knowledge & Experience
- A Magento 2 Certification
- Experience of people management
- Managing timelines and tasks of a development team within a commercial environment
Rewards & Benefits:
- Quarterly and annual bonuses for hitting key metrics
- EMI Share Scheme
- Ongoing learning and development
- Scope for career progression
- Pension Scheme
- Simply Health Plan
- Gym Membership or fitness credits
- Early finish Fridays
Ready to Apply?
Click on the link below to apply for this role, upload your CV and cover letter/note. Please include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role at HomesByDesign, how you will succeed and why you think your next career move should be to join our team.